Wednesday, June 17, 2009

*Sigh* they've got me by the you know whats...

Sent a list of changes to my publisher....a no-go on all but one I think.

Maybe they know they've got me, maybe they don't. But it really sucks knowing that if I walk away, I walk away from starting my career.

Yes,I did get two other offers, but the one was a tiny tiny company and I think I would get next to no exposure, and therefore sell very few ebooks. The other needed an answer within a week. At that point I was still looking for a lawyer to look over the first contract I received.

So now I have to decide.....sign a contract that is not the greatest and start my career. Or walk away to nothing.


  1. It depends on what the stalling points are in regards to. If it's about money, I say bite the bullet and go for it. It's better to have your book out there (and not make much) than to not be published.

    If it's about something like future rights than it's much different. If they want the first rights to your next five manuscripts than you'd be shooting yourself in the foot.

    Feel free to email me if you want a second opinion on any of it :)

  2. Oh no! Not signing away future rights or anything!!!!!!!!!!! No no no...I would never ever do that!!!

    Most of the issues are not that big of a deal to me. as you said, better to have it out there; get this under my belt, a big credit to add to my resume for future use.

    I read some posts on Absolute Write by other writers who published through the same company...and they're real happy...and it's the same exact contract. Haven't read any complaints.

  3. Then I say go for it. If it can't hurt your writing career, then do it!
    And the folks over at Absolute Write are nothing if not honest, so it helps if everyone is fairly satisfied.

    Let us know what you decide and how it goes!

  4. I know the contract is not perfect...but if other people have been happy with it and the publisher...then that is a good sign.