Thursday, March 17, 2011

My son, the bottomless pit!

My son is a bottomless pit. I know this is no surprise...most growing boys are. But mine is only 3. I've watched my teenage nephews inhale food like air. Growing boys need a lot of calories. But I never thought it would start this early.

My oldest is 8, a girl. She's always eaten like a bird. That's what I was used to. They're be feeding frenzies from time to time...that's how I knew she was growing. My son used to be like that too...but this latest growth spurt has been going on for weeks and weeks.

Healthy eating is something we encourage in our house, though we do splurge from time to time. But for the most part, our kids eat a well balanced diet with lots of good stuff. My son ate a pb&j sandwich, a kid's yogurt cup and a small handful of BBQ chips for lunch. (the chips are a rarity...it was only because they were left over from a party we had over the weekend.) Before that, he'd eaten breakfast, and had half an apple and some fruit snacks for snacks. I'm wondering when he'll ask for something else. Usually he wants some cheese at some point.

So at least I can feel pretty good about the food is he eating. And he was at the doctor's recently...his weight is below average. I've been lucky my entire life and have never had to deal with being overweight, and I definitely don't want my kids to. Developing healthy eating habits early is very important to me.

Oh, I just heard him open the fridge.

"I want somethin' mom."

He brought me a pudding cup.

"I'm hungry. I'm hungry again!"

Okay, now I'm hungry for my lunch. Just nuked some leftovers from dinner last night...a tasty low fat zucchini pasta! YUM!!

What's on your menu for today??

4 comments:

  1. my littlest is an eating machine too! she loves goodies but junk too. LOL

    I had a salad for breakfast, chix nuggets for lunch and ham and cabbage is on the menu for dinner. Have to celebrate the day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm i am always hungry now haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys (ages 10 and 4) seem to rotate who's the bottomless pit, so someone's always eating. Right now it's the little one - today he's had 2 bowls of cereal, yogurt, a banana, oatmeal, applesauce, an apple, and a piece of zucchini bread (he likes breakfast foods, apparently!). Roast beef with potatoes and carrots in a couple hours for supper - wonder what he'll manage to take in before that!!
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 6 year old daughter is a bottomless pit. My 4 year old daughter is a grazer, but the 4 year old is just as big as the 6 year old.
    Tonight the kids get left over corned beef/cabbage/carrots/potatoes.
    I'll have some nuked Brussels sprouts with a little butter, lemon, garlic salt. Not terribly exciting.

    ReplyDelete