Friday, March 18, 2011

Man I feel old sometimes....


So the other day I was driving in the car and Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" was on. Cool song, but I wasn't a huge PJ fan. Many of my friends in high school were. I was more into pop and hip hop...loved me some TLC!!

So anyway, the song ended and the DJ said that Pearl Jam has been together since 1991....TWENTY years.

I thought about that...twenty years. Wow....that's a long time. Wait a minute...holy crap!!!! I was a freshman in high school TWENTY years ago.

Wow.....

When you think of two decades, it sounds like such a long time...twenty years is a loooooong time. And it doesn't feel like I started high school twenty years ago. I don't feel like I'm as old as I am. I still have fun, I still go out and do things. I still wear awesome clothes and I think I am pretty cool!

But wow...when you hear stuff like this, it really puts time into perspective. Will the next twenty years of my life fly by and I'll be saying "Holy crap...I started high school 40 years ago???" My daughter will be almost 30, my son, almost 25. They'll be adults, no longer needing me. I wonder where my writing career will be then, how the publishing industry will have evolved. How will our world be different...will we have found cures for diseases and ways to better combat natural disasters? Will our environment be in a better place than it is now. I sure hope so.

But the most important question of all, will I still think I'm cool? :)

7 comments:

  1. age is a mind game. You're only as old as you think you are ;)

    I get this same realization sometimes when I hear old songs or see old books that I loved in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...I don't feel old...but when I hear stuff like this...it just feels weird. I guess it's just a "Holy Shit!" moment....twenty years is a long time...

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that thought today actually! I realized I was turning 40 in 2 years and I can't believe it. 40 seemed so "old" when I was a teen. Where does the time go?
    I was never a Pearl Jam fan either-preferred pop and stil do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes...it did used to sound really old!!!!! Not so much anymore. I prefer to think it's because 40 is the new 30 and not the fact that it sounds less old because I am getting closer to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got my books in the mail! Yay! Can't wait to start reading! Thanks, Christy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry. I'll still think you're cool. As for being twenty years older...I'm just not going to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I don't need (or want) to think about being another twenty years older - but we'll still be cool!

    ReplyDelete