Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Do you have ads on your blog???

Many times I have thought of adding some ads to my blog page. I mean, who wouldn't love to make money just by typing their daily thoughts???? But after some more thought, I decided I didn't want to do it.

I like that my blog is so pretty and ads would only distract readers. I can't imagine stuff littering the sides.

My blog is my only website now, and it seemed unprofessional to have ads on my author website. I used to have a separate site, but it was lame. It was free space that I get from my ISP and the basic templates were very plain and boring. It cost money to use anything that was fun. I was already blogging every day, or every other day. And after a while, it seemed silly to have the website that just sat there...stagnant.I did update it from time to time, but there really wasn't much to put there. My blog is updated several times a week...so it seemed best to make it my main website. And with the ability to add ages, like a regular website, I could add all the info I needed.

But I still have days where I wonder if it would be a good idea. Those days when our budget is tight and some extra cash would be nice.

So, it there anyone out there who does do the ads??? How has it worked??? Any regrets???

10 comments:

  1. I wouldn't put ads on my blog. Just seems wrong somehow, though I can understand why people do it. I'd be interested to know if anyone makes a regular income from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I have had various incarnations of blogs over the past 4 years. In this time I have used both google adwords and amazon affiliates. My adwords account stands at £5.56 (I have found more money lying in the street over 4 years)- the min payout is £20. So, in a word, no, I don't think it is worth you cluttering your blog with these things unless it is completely directed at getting your readers to click on the adds / and all your content is geared around that. I am enjoying writing a blog for the first time that doesn't have any ad related content. hope this helps. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not done it because I think my blog page is too cluttered as it is. But yes, the money would be nice.
    I have a separate website for my books that I set up before I started blogging, but I agree that it's superfluous. I'm pretty active on my blog. Seldom do I do anything with my actual website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, no ads. I get very few looks at my blog, I wouldn't make much from it, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't do it! Too distracting. If all you want is money, there are better ways to get it.

    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've thought about it a few times too and came to the same conclusions you did. I had to think about the purpose of my blog and decided it wasn't meant to make money but to introduce readers to my writing, my voice, and be able to connect with me. I didn't want ads getting in the way of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin, exactly. This is all I have and I want it to look nice.

    Eric, this blog never had a purpose of making money. But curiosity did get to me...I wondered if there were any bloggers out there...friends of mine, who had done the ads and had success. From what I'm hearing, it's a "no".

    Thanks for stopping by everyone and weighing in with your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had ads awhile back. Then I took them off because it took forever to earn. But, now that I publish with Triond which I also benefit from ad clicks I put them back on. I had previously earned almost $20.00 when I took them down.

    Google requires $100.00 before a check is cut. Currently, since I've put them up and they are coordinated with my Triond publications. Last month I earned over $4.00 without doing anything. If it is sitting there (blog and alternative venues) earning me a few bucks it is worth it for me.

    There are additional ways to optimize this though I haven't educated myself (lazy me, for shame).

    But, I also don't have a published book out that would bring in more. With that, I would probably reconsider making my 'ads' for me book.

    :-) Your blog is pretty and I like it the way it is. Though, if you wanted to add one little diddy somewhere just for the heck of it I don't think it would get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never purchased anything from a blog site ad. I even left a couple blogs because the ads just took up so much energy on the site I didn't want to take the time to hang out and read for long.

    For myself, I like to think people read my blog for the content, and not come by for the shopping experience. Someday, someone will pay me for my writing. Until then, the few pennies the advertising may garner isn't worth the hassle. But, that's just my take on the advertising concept for my own blog.

    I understand the lure though. It is tough making ends meet now days. Gotta do what works best for your family.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing, Nova!!! It's great to hear some different opinions!!!

    ReplyDelete