Monday, June 28, 2010

Why are people so disrespectful??

I grew up middle class, probably the lower end of it. But my dad worked hard and earned everything we had. There was always food to eat and a roof over our heads. We never went on government assistance, accept for once when my dad injured himself and was out of work for over two months. (My parents got food stamps for a little while.) We had a car, albeit, a rusty one. But we still managed to have fun and enjoy life...sometimes even got to go to amusement parks and museums, take day trips, go to festivals. I have many fond memories of my childhood.

We were always taught to respect things and people. If we didn't have something...oh well...we didn't have it. If you wanted something, you earned money to buy it.

I don't understand how people today think it is okay to take things from others.

I am an adult now and I work hard. I have a home and children that I take care of in addition to my writing. My husband works hard and earns the majority of our income. We're not swimming in money but we have enough to pay bills and eat and there is sometimes some extra to treat ourselves.

And nothing makes me lose faith and respect for the human race more than someone else coming and just taking what we've earned through hard work.

Last week someone went into my car and stole my ipod and our navigation system. We bought the ipod ourselves and the GPS was a Christmas gift. Neither item have we had for very long.

Why are there people in this world that have zero respect for others, their property??? Why were these people not taught these lessons as children? What is wrong with our society that people are left to believe that this is the proper way to go through life? Why are people not being taught that hard work is the only way to get what you want??

I am trying so hard to teach my kids that you don't take what's not yours and you work hard and save money to buy things yourself.

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! That's terrible, Stephanie! I agree with you, there are so many people who work hard for everything we have, and yet, others feel they "deserve" it or are somehow "entitled" to it and just take it away. I try hard to not internalize it too much and look at the brighter side. In this case, at least they didn't take your whole car, right? And really, what goes around will come around. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entitlement. Some people really feel they are entitled to things...and they justify their behavior by saying that other people are just handed things, even if that isn't true. In fact, I've found in life that people can talk themselves into believing most anything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe that what goes around, comes around, whether in this life or in Heaven or Hell. All we can do is teach our children right from wrong and hope and pray that the world becomes a better place as a result. I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about that. That's awful. My sister's house was broken into a few years back, and she's never felt the same about certain things. It's too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. It's really hard to stay positive sometimes. We are super paranoid now and always make sure the cars are locked. But it scares me too...my husband works midnights....I'm here at night all alone. Luckily he's switching back to days soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I don't get is... why the GPS and iPod? Both are registered to YOU by serial number and as soon as they try to use them, they'll get shut down right away (assuming you notify Apple and the GPS company).

    Thieves suck, dumb thieves suck harder.

    ReplyDelete