Thursday, June 17, 2010

Commenting on blog posts

I try my hardest to read as many blogs as I can...but honestly...my blog reading time is limited and I just can't read every post written by every blog I follow. I'd love to...but physically, it's impossible. And that fact only makes me appreciate the comments I get even more. I assume most bloggers are like me...to some degree. No one has time to sit and read blog posts all day long. We all have responsibilities- homes, kids, jobs out of the home, writing. So when someone takes the couple minutes to read my post and then comment, wow...it means so so much!!!!

And I like to make sure I acknowledge those comments back. But what is the best way???

I am constantly learning about the internet and how things work...I am always picking up something new. Blogging is no exception. It took me a while to figure out I could click a box and have all blog comments emailed to me. That was such a fantastic discovery!! I didn't have to go and check my blog eighty times a day to see if someone commented!! And there was no more mystery to whether or not someone commented on an old post!

So it it easiest to just reply to those emails directly for acknowledgment???

Sometimes when I comment on someone else's blog, I will subscribe...but not all the time. It's not real fun to open my inbox and find fifty new emails- most of them comments on a blog I subscribed to.

What do you guys do in regards to blog post comments???? And bloggers who get 20, 30+ comments...do you reply to them all personally???? At this point, I can keep up with my comments...I usually only have a handful. But someday I hope to get more!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm having a hard time with this too. I don't have a whole lot of time but I feel bad when I don't respond to the person who commented. I don't mind if someone response to me on a comment I made or not. I have been wanting to ask this same question.
    I will look into the comments being sent to my email...I like that.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging is overwhelming, I'm not going to lie. I usually don't respond personally to comments (unless I have something I really want to say, then I will email the commenter). I try to reciprocate by visiting blogs, but I get behind REALLY fast. It's a no win situation. :) My problem is I like to leave sort of thoughtful comments when I visit blogs and I can't do it very quickly. If you come up with a solution, I'd love to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried emailing the commenters back for awhile, but because I feel most blog conversation should happen on the blog (for the community feel), I was having to post the reply on the blog as well...which was just too much. Now I only reply on the blog, and I don't reply to every comment - just the ones that seem to foster further conversation (which, admittedly this week, has been most of them). I don't have too many commenters at the moment, so I can sort of keep up, if work isn't busy.

    I don't do reciprocal visits/comments - I follow a *ton* of blogs, and I only click through/comment on the posts that I have time/want to comment on (normally 10 or so a day, depending on what comes through the reader). It actually kind of irks me when someone who doesn't normally comment on my blog does so right after I've commented on theirs - seems like the only reason they visit is because I visited them. Esp. if they never show up again. But that's just me.

    In any case...you can only do what you can do - and that seems to be different for everyone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like everyone is in a similar situation! Good...I;m not alone!!! LOL!! I scroll through my blog list and click on titles that sound interesting...is that bad??? :) LOL! It's totally judging the content by the title, but honestly, I have to weed through the posts somehow.

    I always try to title my own posts in an interesting way...so people want to click and see what's up with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the most popular way recently is to email commenters back. ?? I'm not sure. I stressed and stressed over it, but finally got to the point that I reply if there is an email or it is the type of comment to reply to. Other than that I don't comment back to every single one. It's too much to keep up with and I think other people understand that too.

    ReplyDelete