Friday, October 1, 2010

Social networking and our opinions

I think most people frequent at least one from of social networking- Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, etc..., whether it be for business reasons or purely for pleasure. I visit these places for both reasons. Some weigh more toward one reason than the other, but I do it because I enjoy it. And I like interacting with others.

BUT.....

Everyone has their chance to say whatever is on their mind....whenever they want. Opinions on anything and everything. And we all have our opinions, which are different from what others think. So when we open ourselves up by posting our thoughts.....it's expected that others will respond with their opposite opinions, right????

When I post something, I do it with the knowledge that someone may think differently and share their thoughts. I normally don't mind....I don't expect or want everyone to think the same as I do. I don't mind a good debate as long as all parties remain open-minded and things don't get nasty.

When you post, do you expect to get a range of comments back?? Does it bother you if someone disagrees with you?? Since it is your post, if someone doesn't agree, should they just not comment??

There are many times I have a different opinion that what someone has posted and I wonder if I really should comment. I try my hardest to always post my opinions in a concise and respectful way. But as we all know, words on a screen are often misconstrued.

8 comments:

  1. I'm all for the sharing and expressing of different ideas and viewpoints. I like to hear how others think on the same topics and enjoy hearing a multiple of viewpoints - as long as respect is shown and it doesn't get into a whole "you're wrong and here is why" sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great that everyone has a different opinion, However it is important to be kind adn respectful. There is no reason for unkind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I never mind hearing from someone who disagrees with me. I only get annoyed if they become disagreeable, obnoxious, trying to change my mind. Respect is a two-way street. The world needs more respect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly!!! Recently though, I found myself in a position where I'd shared my opinion, very respectfully, but since it was different than the opinion of the original poster, I was told I was attacking her and telling her she was wrong. That was not what I did at all and was left wondering what to do. I always make sure I word my comments carefully so they are not taken out of context. But she took my comment and turned it into something it wasn't....and quite honestly it bothered me that this friend of mine would imply that I would be rude to her like that for the purpose of hurting her. I never would do that. And this was a friend who knows me in real life..not just an internet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think to share is to express self. People sometimes tend to take things the wrong way. Just because someone does not agree with something does not mean it is an attack. We all have the right to our own opinion. When you post something in an open forum you should be ready that there are people out there that will not agree and have their own opinion. That is the whole idea of free speech.

    People need to step back and not get so worked up about things and make them into something they are not. It is just not needed attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree!! Thanks for stopping by!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Differences in opinion is how we grow and learn outside our own worldviews. I don't like people to agree with me just because they're on my blog.

    As long as it isn't attacking or mean spirited, its nice to debate issues. Especially writing issues. So many different ways to get a point across.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete