Monday, October 11, 2010

"Mom, if you haven't noticed...."

"...I am a 33-year old grown woman."

That's what I had to say to my mom yesterday. She'd just finished reading A Bitch Named Karma. She said she loved it, it was a really good story....."but".

Don't ya just love a "but"????? She said she had a hard time with the sex scenes.

Now I know for a fact that my mom reads all kinds of romance...and the scenes in my book are very glazed over. Yes, there's some colorful language...my MC Lexi is pretty sassy and says exactly what she's thinking. It's first person, so of course the sex scenes are described using her language.

"But you're my daughter...and you wrote that..."

I get that...but I think she needs to separate herself and just read the book like any other book. Maybe that's easier said than done....

I guess it kinda hurt me a little. I think we sometimes expect glorious praise from certain people and when it's not given, it's a little heart-breaking.

12 comments:

  1. Too funny, I often find myself saying something similar to my husband! LOL!

    "Honey, I survived 25 years without you just fine, I think I can handle this." >;-)

    She should look at it as, "Wow, look how far from your own character you can write!" ;-) I loved your book and I'm waiting [im]patiently for the next thing you click out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. But it's part of the 'moms will always be moms' thing. Every time I see my mom (which isn't all that often due to distance) she looks at me, sighs, and says "My little baby!"

    I'm just glad she doesn't bust out in tears. She's only had 5 years to get used to the idea of me being an adult, but I don't see her reaction changing, ever.

    I have to admit...I haven't read your book yet! :(

    It's on my list, promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph,
    Now you know why I don't show my mother my wrestling pics or my matches! I know she'd hate all the stuff so instead of being excited and proud I'd get bummed after showing her.

    Sometimes you just have to accept that your mother's vision of you is VERY different than who you actually are!

    <3 Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Thanks Shannon....I completely see what you mean. But if my mom continues to read my stuff...she's gonna have a lot more to shock her!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me laugh. I have this same fear about my mom reading my books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I swear I just had this conversation with my mom...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so nervous about letting any of my family members read anything I write. Sure, they all know I'm a dirty little freak in my mind but... I'm bashful when it comes to my brothers reading sex scenes in my work, lol. Which is why I shall never let them get their hands on one. I'm sure my brother Bill would have plenty to say if he read something I wrote. :}

    ReplyDelete
  8. you've got a lot of guts letting your mom read your sex scenes. i'm hiding them from everyone under a pen name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When my mom read my first book, she was absolutely convinced (and no arguing would change her mind)everything that happened to the heroine in my book--also first-person--had happened to me. It's a book about a woman whose husband cheated and she spends a month trying to decide what to do about it, and in the meantime meets another guy she falls for! But my mom could not separate the book from me.

    And somehow she thought the next book was about her! Even worse.

    *sigh*

    It's just how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH, I forgot to add--my hubby also had this complex forever that all my sex scenes were based on stuff we'd done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for stopping by!!!! Your comments are great!!!!

    ReplyDelete