Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What is more terrifying....knowing or not?

I am quite the Nervous Nelly over here.

I went to The Write Stuff conference back in March. I was lucky enough to snag a pitch session with Kim Lionetti from Bookends, LLC. She was super nice and I enjoyed talking with her, as nervous as I was. She asked me to send her a partial! YAY!! I ended up seeing her afterward too...she sat at our table for lunch so I tried my best to chat her up there too...about things other than my book, of course. I figured she was sick of hearing book pitches!

According to their website, partials have a 10-12 week response time and it specifically say to drop them an email if that amount of time has passed and you haven't heard from them.'s been 14 weeks since I emailed it to her. I know she got it...I received an email confirmation. So I sit here debating on what to do. Part of me really wants to send that email and ask for a status update. But the other half of me is terrified for the answer.


  1. Ohhh, I hate this feeling. I'm going through it with an agent who has a full too. While you want to nudge, you also wonder if you shouldn't yet ... but in this case, if they've been that clear, I'd go ahead and send a note. You don't have to sound like you're nagging, just a sort of check in, yanno? Good luck!

  2. Waiting is definitely the worst part. There's no reason to not send a follow-up email unless you're worried about nagging. Then you might want to wait another week or so. But it says right on their website that you can, so go for it.

    I'm still waiting to hear back from a publisher from the same conference, as well as from agents from a different (more recent) one. So I know all about your pain!

  3. I have to admit I hate not knowing. I can't do anything about not knowing. At least if I know, I can decide on where I go from there. I third the idea of just a polite note checking in since they're pretty specific about the time line.