Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What I watch is similar to what I write

I see distinct similarities between my favorite TV shows and what I write. Clearly the kind of shows I love to curl up in a blanket with are the same kind of story lines I enjoy writing. I am addicted to love and romance combined with drama and even some comedy from time to time. I enjoy taking a reader through every emotion and I enjoy that kind of experience myself. I'd be completely lying if I said I never cried and laughed during the same episode of a show I watch.

Some of my favorite shows of all time: Sex and the City, Desperate Housewives and All My Children. If Grey's Anatomy wouldn't have originally been on Sunday nights, I would have really gotten into that. (Just could not do two 1-hour shows on the same night...this was pre-DVR days. Someday I might watch them all on DVD.)

I love a character who is sassy and gets what she wants and stands up for herself and there are PLENTY of those type of characters on my shows. But I also find myself writing characters like myself: shy, unsure, not a ton of self esteem.

And of course, I do watch the occasional reality show...but I stay far away from the really stupid ones. I stick with Dancing with the Stars (I love to dance, in case you didn't know. I have been taking a jazz class for the last 10 years and have taken some ballroom classes too. I so wish I had unlimited funds to be able to continue...maybe even compete....Hey, do you think that a published author would be "star" enough for DWTS??? Hmmm....one more reason to work hard to get my books published....LOL!!) We got hooked on Celebrity Apprentice this year, first time show for us. And we really love Chopped on the Food Network. That is actually the channel we flip to first when it's late and we have nothing to watch but we're not ready for bed yet.

4 comments:

  1. This is strange. I was just talking about this with one of my friends the other day. There are certain shows I watch on TV because they show characters, plots, settings, etc... that I enjoy and could possibly use (with my own twist, of course) in my own writing.

    Lynnette Labelle
    http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only watch Amercian Idol and 24. Maybe if I combine that I could have one heck of a book! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that is the same for me as well- excluding the murder mysteries I love to watch. My fave shows are Chuck, Alias, Veronica Mars (I'm so sad those two are off the air), and The Mentalist. I just hope my book is as cool, smart, and funny as the shows I love to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Top Chef alot. I'm not sure I write what I watch so much, but I def. write what I liked to read when I was younger.
    Lots of emotion is great! Any book that can take us through it all is wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete