Monday, December 21, 2009

What's your pleasure?????

Today I'm talking about pleasures....the guilty kind! This time of year we relax into all kinds of guilty pleasures from sugary treats, to corny holiday movies and that hippopotamus song.

You're probably singing it in your head now, aren't you???

"I want a hippopotamus for Christmas, only a hippopotamus will do..."

But anyway....I'm here to question why these silly things are considered "guilty" pleasures. The definition for guilty pleasure is: something one considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. Often, the "guilt" involved is simply fear of others discovering one's lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes, rather than actual moral guilt.

If someone feels pleasure from something...if someone enjoys something...why should they feel guilty about it?? If the pleasurable activity is not hurting anyone...then why not be proud?? There is so much in this world that is depressing and very un-pleasurable. I'm not going to waste any time feeling guilty for liking what I like.

So come on...share you pleasures!! Any of them...I won't make fun of you!!!!

Me...here are a few of the simple things in life that bring me true joy and I don't care who knows!!

New Kids on the Block (and those of you who know me, know I have NO problems what so ever shouting to the world that I am a huge Blockhead!!)
All 80's music
Boy Bands: Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, LFO, 98 Degrees, OTown
Patsy Cline
Dirty Dancing
America Pie Movies (only the three with Jason Biggs...not all the ones that followed)
Scrapbooking
Chick Lit and Romance Books (and I like the sexy scenes too!)
Dancing with the Stars
All My Children
Disney World
Celebrity Gossip Mags

I will add more later when I think of them!!

This will be my last post before the holiday!! Have a wonderful week!!!!!

12 comments:

  1. Have a great holiday, Stephanie! BTW, I love the new look on your blog.

    My guilty pleasures: dark chocolate, watching reality televison, American Idol, shopping, and reading the gossip in People magazine (I know it's bad, oh well)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guilty pleasures: writing an annoying/mean character, chocolate covered raisins, and reading books a million times each.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Aubrie! And you just reminded me of another....celeb gossip mags!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Online Roleplaying games (gamer nerd here)
    2. Hostess products... mmmmmmmm

    That's all for now, I gotta leave work... sheesh, I'm slacking here.

    OOH slacking is a guilty pleasure lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The TV show Super Nanny
    I love reading trashy romances
    Mmm...Bacon cheeseburgers
    Disney movies


    That's all I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great questions. You know I share your NKOTB and Dirty Dancing obsession. Hmm, let's see, some others: watching The Hills and The City, canned cinnamon rolls, watching Dawson's Creek reruns, and reading erotic romance (the really dirty stuff, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  7. My guilty pleasure is reading US magazine cover to cover the second it arrives. I love everything about that magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing guys!!!! Here's hoping your holiday is filled with pleasures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Stephanie, Merry Christmas!

    Guilty pleasures? Red wine, shoes, dangling earrings, cashmere, Twilight, and Tate Hallaway novels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My guilty pleasures are hot chocolate with whipped cream, Disneyland, and The Jackson 5.

    Merry Christmas Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My guilty pleasures include: the caramel brulee frappucino at Starbucks, all the other frappucinos at Starbucks, getting a mani/pedi at a salon, eating cookies for breakfast, anything with chocolate, and spending my time frivolously browsing the internet. Also pop music and the Twilight books. And action movies. And shopping, especially for clothes, shoes, and cosmetics.

    I have a long list of things, I guess! I tend to feel guilty about needlessly spending money or about wasting time that I could spend writing or working around the house or exercising or something, but... I am coming to realize that my time spent relaxing is also time well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Natalie...I have only been to Disneyland once...when iw as 12...I WILL go back. Hubby and I are planning a So Cal vacation to take at some point. It's a cross country trek for us so the price is quite high. But it will happen! I am a huge Disney World fan so I just need to get to Walt's original park! It will have a much more profund affect on me now that I am an adult.

    Guinivere, I too feel guilty about "wasting" time...especially things like Twitter, Facebook, Webkinz, etc.... But yes, soemtimes pure relaxation is a must!!

    Steph, we have a local red wine here in NY..Red Cat...OMG! Drank the whole bottle myself last time we got one.

    ReplyDelete