Monday, March 19, 2012

How many careers have you had???

I know many people pick a career when they're in college, even high school, and stick with it for life. I commend that dedication! I thought I had done the same thing. I went to a vocational high school and really loved what I was doing. I was in Horticulture and though we'd learned many aspects of growing and cultivating and designing, I'd gravitated toward flowers and floral design. I'd worked an internship my senior year of high school at a local flower shop. I had my future career mapped out.

I went to college to further my education. I worked a couple different jobs afterward and eventually landed a great job I adored. But I did know it was temporary. I'd always wanted to run my own business. I'd known other designers who'd run successful floral business out of their homes and that's what I'd wanted. And I did it. For about 9 years I ran a successful home-based business doing flowers for weddings.

But....after a while...I didn't love it anymore. I found other things I enjoyed more, and even though it was a risk, I gave up the business and decided to pursue a writing career.

So far, it's going well. But I have to say, way harder than I'd ever thought. My floral career was a piece of cake compared to this.

But there are times...like last night. Something will trigger thoughts and memories. I had a random desire to make a floral arrangement. It's still like second nature to me.

Have you switched careers? Why? Did you find success easily? Were you happier?

No comments:

Post a Comment