Thursday, October 22, 2009

Just how many adults read YA for the fun of it???

I know a lot of writers who read YA because they need to get a handle on the genre for their own projects. Me, I read YA because I want to!!

I don't know what it is...well, maybe I do. I am a sucker for a coming of age story!! And nothing makes me melt like reading of first loves, first kisses...first....everything! It's a feeling you just don't get in adult fiction. It takes me back...makes me feel nostalgic for the days when I felt those flutters of puppy love!

Some of my most favorite books are YA. As a kid, my favorite author was Judy Blume- Are You There God, It's me Margaret was my fav!! I remember being so excited for her when she got her period for the first time (I hadn't gotten mine yet when I read the book). I love love love Ann Brashares's The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. Every book in the series makes me laugh and cry multiple times throughout! She really knows how to write books that grow with her audience too. Sometimes I wish she would continue the story into Adult fiction just because I know her characters so well and I want to know how they are handling adult life!! (Which all goes back to my post the other day about sequels!)

I just finished the third installment of the Gallagher Series by Ally Carter, Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover, a series about a super secret school for teenage girl spies. While I'm not real fond of the way she leaves so many unanswered questions in her books, she's got me hooked and I need to know what happenes next!

6 comments:

  1. I love YA.
    I'm writing it, but I also read it just for fun. Like you said, the first love and first kisses are so different than adult genres. I like that newness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ♥ YA. There's something about first love and the newness of life experiences that grabs me in YA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally read YA for the fun of it (I like Ally Carter too but I need ANSWERS!) I read MG and picture books for fun too. I think I must be kind of immature :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie...I was almost angry at the end of GG#3..... waaaaaaay too many unaswered questions!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm going to be odd man out. I don't read YA but I'm also not into any kind of "romance" type books either. I like nitty gritty deep and dirty fiction that makes me think, cry or be inspired. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love YA. I'd read it even if I didn't write it.

    ReplyDelete