Friday, October 16, 2009

Editing while you write

I know some people are compulsive self editors. They write a paragraph then reread it a zillion times and rework it till it is perfect. Then they move on to the next. It's quite a long process for them. That's their way and if that's what works...great!

Me, I've never written that way. I've always been a get-it-on-paper (or rather computer) kind of gal. I always had the need to get the thoughts out of my head before they disappeared forever. It worked for me. I was able to write an entire novel in a relatively short amount of time. I then had to go back and fix things and perfect it, but the story was mostly done. Is my way better? Different yes, it works for me.

I realized something I do now that I never really did before though. Spelling errors. I used to just plow through. I am the first to admit I am not a great typist. I never took a typing class in my life and though I can type decently fast (my husband, who does a one finger hunt and peck method sits in awe of me), I must look at the keyboard and I make many mistakes. I used to be able to ignore the spelling errors (the zillions that there are) and go on...fixing them way later. But for some reason I just can't do that anymore. I have to fix them immediately. Thank God for right click spelling fixes!!

1 comment: