Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Happy medium between Modest and Whore?

Maybe "whore" is a little much..but I was hoping to grab some attention here!! LOL!! This kinda is a continuation of yesterdays post.

I am a very modest person...or at least I try to be. It's just not in my nature to brag about myself, my accomplishments. I mean there are some people I tell...like my mom. She always wants to know everything that happens to me, my kids, etc... But it's my mom. Of course she wants to know.

Part of why I keep most things to myself is because I think of others and if I think certain news will possibly hurt someone's feelings or make them sad, I would rather just keep it to myself. Like a while back. We were getting close to our Disney trip. We were excited. I love talking about all things Disney World. But one of my friends was going through a rough time financially. So I felt it wrong to talk about my upcoming vacation. I've also been going to the gym for almost 2 years, so I've lost weight, toned, etc... But I won't brag to my friends about it. I know they're all struggling. And I'm not perfect..so I don't feel like I can brag even if I wanted to.

It's the same with my writing successes. I know so many writers who are struggling and just can't catch a break. I know how I felt every time I read about someone's newest achievement when I was struggling. (And there are many days now where other people's good news still hurts because I am not as far in my journey as I'd like to be right now...but that's a whole 'nother post.)

BUT then there is the other side of me that needs to be the "whore" and put myself all out there for the world. I NEED to get my name out there, my books, my blurbs...I need to generate traffic to my website so people will read the excerpts I posted that will hopefully entice them to want to read my books. Being quiet and reserved will not sell books.

So how about you??? Are you a bragger?? Or do you keep quiet?? Are you somewhere in the middle?? Got any pointers for me?? :)

And PLEASE share the link for my survey....Readers only...no writers!! Survey

No comments:

Post a Comment