Monday, September 12, 2011

Blog focus???

 When I started this blog, it had no real focus. I didn't know much about blogging then. I just did it because it was something I thought I needed to do to help build my platform. It sounded fun...like something I could get into. I wanted to share myself and my journey. But once I started, it really became something I hadn't expected. I found an amazing community of writers and readers. So so supportive!! And I did my best to support them in return. I blogged mainly about writing related things. I couldn't really teach anyone anything, but I did my best to share my experiences on my journey. But everyone seemd to enjoy my posts and appreciate them.

But now I just don't know what to write about. I guess I can keep writing about the same topics. But I still am not a teacher...I don't think I will ever feel like I can come on this blog and teach people. I still have days where I feel like I know absolutely nothing.

My readership has dropped CONSIDERABLY. I am not happy about this at all. Makes me think that I have lost everyone...I am not interesting anymore...no one cares what I have to say. I tried chalking it up to summer...but summer's over. I posted my new cover last week and I only got 4 comments. :( I'm trying to do a Blog Event in a couple weeks to kick start my promotion for the fall. Only two participants beside myself (and I know them in real life! LOL!) I know I haven't been around much posting on other's blogs...this summer really pulled me away from the computer unlike any other summer has. But I promise...I am jumping back in!!!!

I struggle with topics to write about...many of my current followers are also writers, so I know they are interested in informational blogs. But as I said, I can't teach. And I want to attract non-writers too.

So here I sit, wondering what the heck to do!!!

Please please please sign up for my Blog Event on the 19th! Click here!

9 comments:

  1. I don't think as many people are blogging right now. I know I've been focusing on writing.

    I'll go check out that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll have one of those teaching blogs either. And I think I have 4 total readers. I'd continue to blog about things that interest you and your journey as a published author... that's why I continue to read you (even though I don't always comment. I read most blogs through my googlereader and going TO the blog to comment is an extra step I don't always have time to take).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by!! Aubrie, I think you're right...not as many people are blogging right now. Seems everyone is concentrating on their writing instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you just need to be yourself. Write what is interesting to you right now, and others will find that interesting too. Or at the least, you'll have fun writing it. :)

    I'm not a romance reader or writer, so I sometimes don't feel like I have much to comment on, since I don't know your genre. But I always enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aubrie is right. I took most of the summer off, and I know others did too. Some 5 day bloggers have dropped to 3 days a week. It's just a dip in the cycle and will come around eventually. Hang in there. We still love you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We started thinking the same thing this summer - there are so many blogs and the topics just keep getting recycled - who are we to talk about ANYTHING?? But we're still around and hoping that if nothing else, the daily practice of writing on the blog keeps us involved. Good luck!
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm one of those 5-dayers who became a 3-dayer this summer. And I do think blogs have become a bit less "the thing" now. Why? Twitter, I bet. When we get struck by some idea, it ends up 140 characters or less, but gets out there instantly, rather than becoming a page-long blog post. At least, that's what happens to me.
    And given how hard I struggle to make writing time, sometimes I get aggravated about the time it takes to write, format, and post on the blog... for like 11 followers. LOL

    I'm beginning to suspect in 10 years, blogs will be something they joke about on sitcoms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I go through these periodic jags of self-doubt. I'm lucky if I receive more than just a few comments on any given post, and it really affects my self-esteem. Mostly, I *try* to not let it bother me. PS - You have nearly 4x's as many followers as I do, so that's something to be proud of!

    I think a lot of people read through readers, so visits are not always accurately counted. If people don't take the time to click through and comment, well . . .

    I tend to save up my blog reads and get them all done in one day, so I'm often late to comment on breaking news (which is a horrible habit). I'll go check out your cover now. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems a lot of bloggers who used to be 5 dayers have dropped to 3. And yeah...maybe soon blogging will be a thing of the past. I like Twitter...but it seems that only about 20 people interact with me on a regular basis.

    I think a lot of people do read through readers too...so that might be part of it.

    ReplyDelete