Thursday, September 1, 2011

Do you ever wonder if you share too much???

I am, by nature, a very open and honest person. I never flinch when someone asks a personal question. I have no issues sharing my experiences, especially if it will help someone. And there are times I like to talk about myself! LOL! Who doesn't?

But sometimes I do wonder if I share too much...especially online.

Now I never worry about Facebook...I keep it set to private and I'm only friends there with people I know in real life...who would know the details about my life anyway.

On Twitter I never use names of my husband or kids, and I don't here on my blog/website either. But I do share stories from my personal life. I talk about the city I grew up in...because I love it. I talk about my favorite places to go. I talk about being a writer, a mom, a wife.....I like to connect with people on a personal level and how can you do that without revealing bits of yourself?

I know many authors prefer to write under a pen name for the purpose of keeping their private life private. I never wanted a pen name, though I did consider it because my married last name is not really all that easy to pronounce. But in the end I decided not to. I wanted to see MY name on the cover of my book..not some name I made up. And fame is not why I write, but yeah, I wanted to be able to go somewhere someday and have someone ask, "Oh, are you THE Stephanie Haefner?" And I could say, "Why, yes!"

Indulge my fantasies for a second, 'kay?

I've been on other blogs where I have felt the blogger shared too much...too many personal photos, too many names and places. I don't want that for my blog but I don't want the opposite either. I strive for a happy middle.

But even in the middle ground, I wonder if I reveal too much. What about you? Ever feel that way? What do you do to protect yourself??

3 comments:

  1. If someone is desperate enough to want info about us, they'll likely find it. I do try to limit the really personal, but I think it's nice to learn more about bloggy buds. You're right, though--it's always a balancing act. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think to each his own. I love blogs where I get to know the blogger as a real person. I love seeing their lives, their kids, hearing about the things they do each day. Not all the blogs I follow are writing ones, so I read some very personal ones by people who are dealing with diabetes and children whose lives are in the balance.

    I also read lots that are very professional, with no personal. And I get tons from those too.

    I try to have some balance. I don't post about my family a lot, or name names very often, but I do sometimes - like last week when we came back from vacation. I'm sure to some, I reveal too much, and to some I reveal too little. You can't please everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, you are so right. If someone wants the goods on you...they'll find it n matter what you do.

    Heidi, I agree...balance is definitely key!

    Thanks for stopping by ladies!!

    ReplyDelete