Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Conference...I so wish I could go!

Last year I went to The Write Stuff Conference and had an absolutely FANTASTIC time!! Click here for all of my conference blog posts!

It was my first conference ever and it was a small one, very personal...very intimate, and that worked for me. The sessions and lectures were in small banquet rooms. I even attended an informal genre chat..which was 8 of us around a table led by one of the romance authors who led several other sessions.

I pitched to an agent and even as nervous as I was, it went well. I learned sooooooo much from this conference.

And now it's almost time to register for this year's conference. I want to go again...so badly, but money is super tight this year. Last year I'd payed with my payment check from Chick Soup for the Soul. I really don't have about $350 laying around. (And that included the conference fees, hotel costs, food, and gas to get there. But as little as that is, I just don't have it.) Hubby says to go and we can use income tax return money...but I'm just not sure it's the best use of the cash. I need to be responsible Stephanie and put it toward other things that need it.

As much of an educational weekend it would be....I need to look at it all logically. I do not have a project to pitch this year. So me going would be purely for fun and to learn something. And while education is a must and I truly believe in always learning more and more, I just don't think I can justify it since I have no chance to score an agent.

So, anyone else going to a conference this year??? I will make it to RWA someday too!!

6 comments:

  1. I won't be going to any conferences either this year. I'm in the same boat as you as far as money. Some day though I would love to go to one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a shame that great conferences can be so expensive

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going to conferences but like you, I just don't have the money to do it most of the time. I figure once I'm published a portion of everything I make will be going to stuff like this...all part of networking. But I have to have the income coming in first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to a conference. They're so expensive, and when we are trying to squeeze enough for piano lessons and swim team each year, it seems like something I need to do without. I'd LOVE to go sometime, though!

    Of course, somehow we're finding money for me to go to grad school, and a part of me is hoping it's like a two-year conference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully can go to one this year! Plan on it anyways, if the $ would just turn up.

    Sorry you can't go this year but I agree with the hubby! It IS responsible use of money considering it as an investment to your career! Right? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A conference isn't in the cards for me this year. I'm shooting for next winter.

    ReplyDelete