Thursday, July 7, 2011

Job vs. Career

Do you have a job or a career?

There is a huge difference between the two, if you ask me. A job is just what you do to make money. It doesn't necessarily make you happy. It pays the bills. A career is also an occupation, but you find fulfillment with it.

I have been very blessed to have had two careers in my lifetime so far...and who knows...maybe there will be more! I started out with a career as a floral designer and when I was no longer happy doing it, I worked toward a career as an author.

And I think women choose careers more with fulfillment in mind than men. As archaic as it is, I think men feel the need to be the provider and choose jobs that make good money and have good benefits even if it doesn't necessarily make them happy. 

What do you think??

4 comments:

  1. I think women are more flexible about leaving one career to start another, for many because of having little kids around.

    I also think men really, really base a lot of their personal identity on what their job/career is. Which is why they get so much more depressed if they get laid off. The breadwinner factor is big for them, too, and I think they worry more what other people think--whether they're providing well enough for their family or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it. My husband definitely feels the need to be the provider. Right now I have a job but in a few years that will change. I will be a full-time writer and that's the real dream, the real career.

    For now bills must be paid so sacrifices must be made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband definitely had money in mind when he chose his career... he's a CPA and he hated every minute of the path to get there.

    My day job is definitely just a job. I so want writing to be my career, but unfortunately, something has to pay the bills in case it's all just a pipe dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I have flip-flopped roles when it comes to our jobs/careers and raising the kids. He farms and works weekends at a warehouse and has stayed home with our two kids for most of their lives (they're 10 and 5). He has a college degree, but has never used it. I have been a teacher and manager for 14 years and definitely consider it my career.
    erica

    ReplyDelete