Monday, May 17, 2010

WooHooo!! I love when I get a contract in my inbox!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sent my novelette to my editor over a week ago and wahlah...over the weekend I received a contract for it!!!

One of the great things about epublishing is the fact that all lengths of stories now have homes. In the print publishing world...who wants a 16,000 word story??? Yeah, there are anthologies and compilations, but in my genre, I think it's mainly established authors who can sell on name alone.

I remember when I started this story. I had written a flash fiction piece for a contest (and it placed top 10, BTW!). A friend had told me about a Romance magazine that was looking for pieces, max word count 10,000. So I decided to give it a whirl. I took this flash fiction piece and knew I could expand on. It felt VERY refreshing to work on something of this length, knowing I could not add in subplots or too many characters. I had to stay focused just on this one plot idea. I finished the story relatively fast and took it to writers group, got feedback, worked on editing it. I submitted to the magazine and started another story to be the same length- something I pulled from my idea file.

Never heard from them, and that was a good year and a half ago. After coming down from the high of my first publishing contract with Lyrical Press, (a year ago yesterday!!) I decided to go back to it. Lyrical publishes all sorts of lengths and I thought this was my chance to find a home for this story that I loved.

I had to keep setting it aside to work on edits for my novel, but I finally finished it about 2 weeks ago. Since Lyrical now has a 15,000 word minimum, I had the freedom to add more description. And I decided to change the POV from 1st to 3rd, which also gave me the chance to add in the hero's POV, which I love to do.

I submitted it to my editor and over the weekend, I received a contract for it!! I am so so excited to find a home for this story! I really love it and I can't wait to share it with everyone!! And it's a nice quick read...doable in an hour or so!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Stephanie! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I'm so proud of you, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!!!!!

    I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!!! I'm super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your contract! That's awesome. Now I have to think of interview questions for you :)

    ReplyDelete