Monday, April 29, 2013

Friends and our need for them

I have a great group of friends. We do so much together and have been there for each other for every single milestone in life to this point. We're all in our 30's, we're all married, we all have kids. There's been ups and downs and we've been there to support each other. And have had a blast. We're always doing fun activities. I know which ladies will be on my arm when I'm 80, still doing the fun things we've always done.

Recently there was some buzz about a Friends the TV show reunion and even a whole reunion season. I was ecstatic. It's one of my all time favorite shows. I just bought the entire series on DVD. I would LOVE to see how the characters I loved are doing ten years later. But all my hopes were dashed with an article stating this was not happening. Which was fine, but I completely disagreed with the reasoning.

The article I read- read it here- states the reunion is not happening because "Friends was about that time in your life when your friends were your family and once you have a family, there's no need."

O....kay.....so what about this awesome bond I have with my girls? And even some of the guys?

I sure as hell need my friends. And I plan on always needing them. I adore my kids, but sometimes I need to be with other adults. I need to let loose with my girls and have fun. We have strong bonds. No one else on earth can identify with me about life like they can. We laugh together, cry together, do silly crazy shit together! My kids and husband aren't going to see NKOTB with me! My girlfriends are! I'm living my life to the fullest and enjoying it and my friends are a huge part of that. My family is the other part. Both are very significant to me.

So fine...there won't be a Friends reunion, but don't use the lame excuse that no one needs friends once they have a spouse and family.

And to get technical, Ross and Monica were brother and sister, and married/ended up with two of the other friends, making them all family. So, 4 of the friends still see each other an awful lot. Well, in my imagination they do. :) So there!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I'd kill my family sometimes if I didn't have friends. I think what the show was trying to say was that that was a time when it was only about your friends, BEFORE you had a family. But they didn't convey that successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love about that show is, it's timeless. Even though you can look and laugh about some of the styles at the time (did Jennifer Anniston single-handedly start that fad of being nipply/those little fake nipple inserts women put in their bras?), the stuff they go through is sooo relatable. My 15 year old daughter loves the show, and has for several years.

    Friends are important, because you can tell them stuff you'd never share with your family. LOL

    ReplyDelete