Friday, September 7, 2012

The Big 3-5 :(

Tomorrow is my birthday. Not happy.

Never thought I'd be the woman who was embarrassed to state her age or would want to lie about it. I didn't used to be. I used to think I looked great for my age, so I liked telling people and having them say "Wow, you don't look that old at all!" I try to do lots of fun things and be outgoing...I don't want to act old. But this birthday...it's just not sitting well with me. It just sounds old.

I remember being 21-22 and thinking 30 sounded really old...a lifetime away. Then it came. And I was okay with it. But now 5 years later, not so much. My sister in law told me to shut up...as she turns 40 in October.  So I guess it could be worse.

We're going out to dinner with my parents and brothers. I had a hard time picking a place, since some of my family members are kinda picky when it comes to food. But Mexican works. Plus I can get a margarita to drown my sorrows. Today just me and hubby are celebrating. Kids are both in school in the afternoon, so we're going to a fun little restaurant downtown called The Chocolate Bar. YUM! Today sorrows will be drowned in chocolate cake.

4 comments:

  1. My birthday is the day after you-and I'm turning 39! You know-I've never had a problem with my age or getting older. You know why? Because getting older is a privilege, not a right. It's not extended to everyone. I'm better, smarter, stronger with each year that passes. Every year is a chance to be the best me. Thirty-five is YOUNG. I see you LIVING...keep that attitude and you'll celebrate with a big smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time with 35 too, for some reason. 30 didn't matter. And I hit 40 last year...didn't like it, but for some reason 35 was a biggie for me. Good news is, in a few more hours you can stop dreading it and move on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3-5 is better than you think. You are just realizing how strong you are and how much you can do. Seize the year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday. : ) I turn 33 this month so I'm in a similar boat. And I used to worry about the whole aging thing, but them my aunt passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly a few years ago at 38. One day she was here, raising two young kids, seemingly healthy, the next day she was gone.

    It gave me a new perspective. Every year I get is another gift. Yes, my skin won't be a smooth and my boobs won't be as high, but I'm here with the people I love. And that's what matters. :)

    ReplyDelete