Monday, January 7, 2013

Fiction versus non-fiction?

I'm wondering today if readers read one or the other or both.

Me personally, I adore fiction. For me, reading is entertainment and I want to be swept away. I want to go somewhere I've never been, experience something new, relive the feeling of falling in love, laugh, giggle, even cry. I want excitement, adventure, romance, comedy, drama...all in one book if possible. :)

I read non-fiction books on occasion, but honestly, its gotta be a topic I am completely passionate about or something I am interested in and need to learn about. I've tried reading biographies and such...and even when it was someone I really admired, it was tough. I ended up skimming. I really can't put my finger on what turns me away.

So, what do you read? Do you read both? Likes? Dislikes? What do you love about fiction? What do you love about non-fiction?

3 comments:

  1. I don't read much non-fiction. Like you, I want to be swept away - even into a drama - and don't like thinking of the "character" as a real person.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read much more fiction. About the only time I venture into nonfiction is when I'm leaning around the library while my daughter dawdles in YA. Next to that section is our non-fiction: Diet, exercise, self-help, some light psychology. I get sucked into those books now and then. LOL. I won't always read the entire book after I get it home, but I have checked them out. One non-fiction book I have on my Kindle is by Joan Rivers. It's funny as hell. And I open it to read a chapter or two when I need a laugh....so I'm hoping she writes another soon, for when I finish this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a lot of non-fiction, since I write historical and need to do a lot of research for my books, even when I already know about that era or that event backwards and forwards. When I do read fiction, I predominantly read older fiction and some modern historical fiction. Modern fiction doesn't really do much for me, in part because it's just so short.

    ReplyDelete