Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Another lightbulb moment....

Recently I've had another huge lightbulb moment in my life. I've had a few over the years. Read about them here!

But this time it was about exercise and nutrition. It took a long time to admit, but I am officially getting older and that meant big changes for my body. My metabolism is not what it used to be. But I was gung ho to prove that none of that mattered. I could get back to the weight I wanted, if I just worked hard. So I hit the gym...hard...ignoring the signs my body gave me that I was overdoing it. I changed my diet and cut out things I loved. (I was MISERABLE!) I became a little obsessed about it all....but still....none of it worked.

And then one day...I got on the floor to do some stretches and ab work and when I stood up pain radiated through my body. And I knew. It was the last straw. That was five months ago and my back is still not right. It might not ever be. It's a chronic condition I've lived with for many years and I know how to handle it. I shouldn't have let myself ignore it.

So I kind of woke up. I had to accept one thing in my life that I might not ever be able to change. And it sucks. Big time. It sucks to work hard and see zero results. It sucks to know I can't push harder because of where I'll end up. It sucks to know I might be stuck like this forever..in a body I'm not really all that happy with.

But I refuse to sacrifice my happiness (I like to eat delicious food! Not all the time, not every day, but on occasion. I know how to use moderation. I refuse to eliminate things from my life completely.) I refuse to do things I know will lead to me being unable to enjoy activities with my kids because I'm in too much pain.

So here I am...doing what I can to stay healthy and happy. I'm trying my best, and that's all any of us can do.

Have you had a fitness/dieting/nutrition lightbulb moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment