Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Once you've gone Erotic, can you ever go back?

With the popularity of a certain erotic bdsm trilogy that shall remain unnamed, it seems as if everyone is getting into the genre. I've heard from more than one reader, that until now, they didn't even know the genre existed. They want to know what to read next.

This is fantastic for all my erotic-writing author friends. For me, not so much.

I am beyond ecstatic that romance is in the spotlight right now, even if it's not exactly my type of romance. The world is proving that people love romantic fiction, and will buy it, by the millions. And now that consumers have been bitten by the bug, they just want more.

But I'm kinda concerned. Erotic bdsm romance is so intense, so detailed, so completely sexy. Having now gotten accustomed to such a high level of heat, will readers want to step back a little in the spiciness level?

My books are definitely steamy, but definitely not as detailed as erotic romance. I'm hoping readers will still find their way to me, even if that means the heat will be turned down a smidge.

8 comments:

  1. People hadn't even heard of erotica? Yeesh, talk about sheltered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what i thought the first time i heard someone say it...it was my sister in law, but it didn't surprise me. Then I started hearing it more and more and not just here at home...people online.

      Delete
  2. Popularity is cyclical and what's popular now may not be on the next turn of the wheel. I remember reading how Harlequin's sweeter romance sales waned when the arrival of the Avon bodice rippers came on scene in the late 70's and 80's. They, too tapered off and people went in for the sweeter, more sensual less explicit material in the 90's and early 00's. Erotic romance has been out there for a decades, we hit a hot streak about 6 years ago, waned a bit as people glommed onto other more paranormal stuff and now we're seeing another surge. Great stories are always in though. :)

    The problem for me is that because I do write erotica, I have a hard time dialing that back. Not everything I work on requires explicit sex, so when I have characters that have romantic elements, I have to remember not to take it to the next level. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya!! I don't write erotic romance, but it's pretty steamy. It's hard to hold back sometimes! :)

      Funny how trends rise and fall. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. As a writer of erotic romance, I'm thrilled it's becoming more popular, and I too have a hard time dialing back my heat level if I write something that doesn't lend itself as well to that.

    But as a reader, I enjoy both non-erotic and erotic romance, just as I sometimes enjoy historical, other times contemp, other times western romance. It all depends on the mood I'm in, and I think a lot of other readers are like that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I do that too. Always switching it up. :) I guess I just worry that my books will seem blah and boring now...not enough sex! LOL!!!

      Delete
  4. My books are PG-13, so they were a hard sell before and an even harder sell now. I deal with this by writing primarily YA. Although, I have seen clean romance selling well on Amazon. When I write adult, there is only one line of one publishing company that really buys what I write, because it's not inspirational and I don't write sex scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think 50 Shades is sort of the "gateway novel" for erotica for many readers. LOL. I've had people who are asking me about my books, and when I say they are racy or even use "erotica", they shrug and say, "Well, I've just finished reading 50 Shades and want more." So I'm fine with it.

    I'm sure there will always be readers who simply won't "go there", and also readers who read both genres. So you're good! No worries. :)

    ReplyDelete