Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Endings are so so important!

I think it goes without saying that the ending is probably the most important part of a story for the reader. Yes, the first page and first chapter are important too...very important. But nothing ruins a great book, or a movie, like a stupid ending.

There is one movie that always comes to mind when I think of bad endings. I can't help it...I'm a happily ever after kind of gal. And this one didn't end that way...not by a long shot. Ever watch Ladder 49???? Well....the whole movie you knew he was trapped...I believe the movie started with the end, then flashed back and forth to the past and then back to present day. So it was not a surprise. But to end the way it did. I just didn't understand why I was put through all that to have it end that way. It was so sad and usually I am such a sap and bawl my eyes out at stuff like that...but no...not this time. I was livid. I was so mad that they put me through all that and then killed him in the end. I remember trying to go to sleep that night and not being able to...I was still so mad.

So anyway...when it comes to books and movies, I want the ending I expect and want- everyone lives happily ever after. But I also want some surprise to it. I need to think that it won't end that way.

And this is what I sometimes struggle with in my own writing. For the genre I write (contemporary women's fiction and romance) it's a given that it will all end happily. But I want twists and turns for my reader. I want to give them something they didn't quite expect but still satisfies their desire for hearts and butterflies and riding off into the sunset.

I am reading the newest Meg Cabot right now, Insatiable. I am halfway in. And at this point, I really have no clue what so ever what is gonna happen. And I love that feeling...but I also am hopefully that I will get the kind of ending I want. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! ***Adding this in: I did finish it (scheduled this post like a week ago.) Unfortunately, it did not end how I would have liked...though it is left open for a sequel.

And please please please sign up for my contest!! You could be the lucky winner of a signed PRINT copy of A Bitch Named Karma!!!!! Check out the contest here!

5 comments:

  1. I read Dear John and it ripped my heart out but the ending was the way the author wrote the book.

    THEN, I watched the movie. They totally screwed it up. And, they completely changed the ending!!!! Though, they made it a happy ending it just... well, erpped me.

    FYI, I'm following you and I'm going back to your giveway to let you know that and that I FB your book giveaway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ending is incredibly important!! No one likes to be dissapointed.

    I for one hated the ending to the guardian

    ReplyDelete
  3. endings are important, I get furious when i get really attached to a character then they just die, and nothings left, If I wanted real life I wouldn't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Farmer's wife!!! I did not read Dear John, just saw the movie. I, of course, liked the end of the movie!

    Teenage Bride...I so agree. I did not like the end of The Guardian either.

    Thanks for stopping by Summer Ross...I agree....for me books and movies are an escape...if I wanted death, I'd watch the news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, I'm never watching Ladder 49!

    ReplyDelete