Tuesday, February 16, 2010

COVER ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am beyond excited!!!!!!

Wow....I have been waiting for this day...since...forever!!! I think all writers dream of the day they will see their name printed across the cover of a book! And let me tell you...just the jpeg attachment of my cover art took my breath away!!

I never really had any ideas for cover art for A Bitch Named Karma. My publisher, Lyrical Press, asked what my ideas were, which I thought was very cool of them, and I didn't really know what to say. I wanted something eye-catching, of course, and I like more simplistic covers. Lyrical has fantastic cover art, so I wanted to leave it up to the professionals!

And wow...did the professionals do an amazing job!!!

I am not going to post it yet...I know...it breaks my heart not to share it!!! It may go through a change before it's set in stone.

But let me tell you, the font is really fantastic...and the background is a medium blue and it's ruched satin. I am not usually a fan of blue, but this is really stunning. There is a female model on the cover, as Lyrical uses real photos on their cover as apposed to drawings. She's gorgeous, of course, with dark hair that contrasts against the blue amazingly!

My one and only gripe is her clothing....or rather, lack there of. She's a little too naked for the type of novel. It's chick lit/contemporary romance and my fear is that potential readers will think it is an erotic novel. There are sex scenes, but they are, for lack of a better word, glossed over. My MC is a very sexual person but I chose not to write the details of the scenes. I'm afraid that someone may look at the cover and pass on it because they do not like detailed sex scenes. Or others may buy it thinking it's erotica and feel disappointed when it's not.

Book covers, even digital ones, are sooooooooooo important. No matter what your blurb says, or what your excerpt is....readers see that cover first and they form an opinion immediately. Last thing I want to do is turn away potential buyers or disappoint someone who was looking for more that what my book contains.

12 comments:

  1. I just got my cover from Lyrical Press as well for my second novel with them! They do such a nice job. Renee is so talented!

    I can't wait to see your cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend and I collaborated together on the cover for my novel and we were so, so happy with the result. I loved this aspect of the journey and I can totally appreciate the joy you must be feeling right about now. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You tease! Can't wait to see it.

    Lynnette Labelle
    http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting, Stephanie! I can't wait to see it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so exciting. I bet it seemed surreal. :0)

    Congrats and yeah..now we have to know it's out there but wait to see it. Thanks. :0)

    Seriously-congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! It's only a matter of time before the BIGS!!! You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Lynnette, you tease! :) Congrats though and I look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see your cover! It sounds gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! It KILLS me not to share it woth you guys!!!!

    Aubrie, I actually have the new designer, Valerie! She did a fantastic job and was so so nice when I emailed her with my concerns!

    She did change the model but it just didn't have the same wow factor..the model was not as pretty, LOL! and her arms were folded kinda weird-like. We ended up sticking with the original.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting!!! Congrats on the cover and I can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well now that you've warned me I shall not be put off by your book, I for one judge a book by its cover and I'm not ashamed of that. I think it's rather silly to not judge a book by its cover; covers are very detailed warnings/hints as to what the book contains. If the cover intrigues me I'll read the flap if the flap catches me than I read the book.
    I do hope that in the end you have a cover that you are truly and completely happy with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree xoxo......and the fact that my cover may mislead people does not sit well with me. But option #2 was just plain ugly!! The first cover is gorgeous, even though the model is a bit more naked than I'd like! LOL!

    ReplyDelete