Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Writers Age?? Does it matter????

The other day I took a book out from the library....one that was made into a major motion picture (which I loved BTW). I'd never read the book so I grabbed it. Now that I am a writer myself...I take the time to read acknowledgments and the copyright stuff.....and while doing this, I notice her year of birth.....uh...same as mine. And the book came out 6 years ago. Yeah...she was about 26 when her first book was published that soon after it made millions at the box office........

Then today I was reading the talented Natalie Whipple's Blog. She made mention in a comment that she is not yet 26. (She recently snagged a fabulous agent of her own!!)

God do I feel ancient. And I shouldn't. I'm only 32. That's still young....right? RIGHT?

But it made me wonder if age matters. I know some writers write for years and years and do not find publishing success until they're middle aged or older. Others get an early start and by the time they reach the quarter century marker...their writing career has already blossomed.

So does youth give an advantage...or does time and experience???? Thoughts???

I guess I can't complain too much...I was 27 when I started writing fiction seriously. I've accomplished a lot in the past 4+ years.

9 comments:

  1. I don't think age matters at all :) Some people get started earlier than others, and sometimes it's just a matter of being in a certain place at a certain time that lands someone an agent. I've heard this argument before and there are good points on both sides (youth vs. experience) but really it just comes down to luck I think. I don't know much about the publishing world yet but I get the impression that the market's pretty fickle and changeable, so what sells one year might not sell the next... maybe it just takes time and a sharp eye for trends. Stay positive, I am sure you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm almost the same age as you. I'm 31. But if I'd started writing sooner, it wouldn't have been as good because I don't think I was mature enough to come up with a full plotline with 3-D characters. I needed life experience to be a writer. But it's different for everyone. I'm glad that I started when I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not trying to anger anyone and I didn't mean anything negative at all toward young writers who are successful....just the opposite...I am in awe and I'm a bit jealous...but not in a negative way. I see what they are achieving and wish I would have started sooner....discovered this love for writing at an earlier age. And I'm not downplaying anyone's success...I would never imply that any writer achieved success without putting in hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't mean to make you think I'm angry at you. I'm so sorry. Here I go putting my foot in my mouth again. I'm sorry!

    I just get frustrated with myself when I compare ages and success. I don't like to see anybody else do it. I know you're in awe of others. So am I. Just know that I think you're doing wonderful and you're ahead of the game in a lot of ways.

    Once again, sorry. I'm often not so great at expressing certain things in words. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think age makes a difference. I think more people are getting interested in writing fiction at younger ages now as fiction explodes on teh market :) My theory. I'm 33, so I've got you topped by 1 year! :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lady Glamis, no worries at all!!!! I just wanted to make sure you understood what I meant and that I really admire young writers who have found success at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm 30, so kind of in the same boat. I try not to stress that I didn't get started earlier. I always wanted to write but I had other obligations that kept me from pursuing it seriously--getting degrees, building a career that would pay the bills, getting married, having a child. So I'm just thankful that I now have time to dedicate to writing. And I would say you're ahead of the game, you're about to have an ebook published!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think age matters in writing as much as skill and imagination. I'm a few months shy of turning 21 and I've been writing for 4 years. It doesn't matter much, I think, because each person has a different skill level when it comes to writing. Some of the stuff I wrote when I first began, resembles much more closely the short stories I wrote in 2nd grade, rather than the novel it has now transformed into. Each person grows as they write. I think it depends on their skill level when they start, not their age. I can't imagine having a book published before I'm 25...wow...

    ReplyDelete