Tuesday, July 10, 2012

How can you dislike something you've never experienced?

I often come under ridicule for liking the things I like. Maybe "ridicule" is a harsh word, but it's how I often feel. I am a very open-minded person and I accept people and the different things they enjoy, even if I am not really into them. I think all people should be free to enjoy what they enjoy as long as it's not hurting anyone else. So it really aggravates me when people come down on me for liking what I like.

ESPECIALLY when they have never even experienced it.

Now I have never skied. Once we were going to go (my hubby used to ski all the time) but there was an ice storm and we had to cancel our plans. I really just never had the opportunity or desire since. But it would be silly for me to sit here and say "I dislike skiing. I think it's a waste of time. I don't understand why people like skiing so much." I don't know if I will ever go skiing (though most likely not) but I sure as hell will not come down on the people that do it and love it just because it's not my thing.

Life is far too short and I truly believe we should all spend our time doing things that make us happy. No one should be made to feel as if their passions are less worthy.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't skiied either but my balance is so bad that I'd probably fall down without getting anywhere. For people who can do it it's probably fun, much like writing or reading aren't fun to some people but they're fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree! The world would be very dull if we all liked the same things. But there's zero reason to put down what someone else likes just because it's not your thing. That doesn't even make sense! Some people are just self absorbed or cranky :)

    I have tried skiing a few times and have to tell you I'm the world's WORST skier. Despite being reasonably athletic and coordinated - I can't figure skiing out. 3 sad attempts was enough for me :)

    ReplyDelete