Monday, October 3, 2011

I wanna read it, but I also don't.....

I'm about 75 pages into a book right now...but I haven't picked it up in over a week....maybe even two weeks. I started this book with such high hopes...it's one of my favorite authors and the most recent in a series. I won't mention it cause I really do not want to give anything away. The opening was great...she sucked me right back into the lives of the characters I have loved for years.

And then she went and did something that made me so incredibly sad. I laid in bed reading and bawling my eyes out, wondering how she could do this to me.

I haven't picked it up since. I know there's more sadness to come and I'm just not ready to deal with it. That night she had me so upset I couldn't sleep.

This experience just proves how deeply we as readers can care about the characters we read about. Especially something like this. I've read about these characters for years...4 other books. They are a part of my life...a part of me...even a part of my writing.

Has anything ever affected you like this????

2 comments:

  1. I stopped reading an author who killed off a main character after numerous books. I felt she did it for shock value only. It was completely without warning on the last page of the book. I was invested in that character and preferred him to any other character in the book. I had no interest in what happen to those left. Hope this doesn't turn you off to a favorite author.

    ReplyDelete