Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Smartphones

I was inspired to write this post by a friend's post on the same topic and her hatred for them.

I wholeheartedly agree on one point she made...it is SUPER rude for people to be on them at parties, get-togethers, etc...and checking their Facebook, email, etc, while the are mid conversation with someone live and in person.

But I think smartphones are fantastic little pieces of technology.

As a person who needs to network and promote themselves for their career, my smartphone allows me the ability to connect with people when I am away from my computer. It makes my life easier to be able to jump on my phone and post on Twitter at 9 pm and reply to other people's tweets when I would normally not be on the computer. I can check my email whenever I want and not need to wait to boot up my laptop. In about a minute I can check my email and reply to any pertinent ones, whether I'm at home getting ready to jump in bed, or at the dance studio waiting for my daughter.

The world is changing and things like smartphones are just a part of that. If you go into a cell phone store these days, you're lucky if they have 3 non smartphones to choose from. I wish they did have more of a selection for people who just do not need internet on their phone...like my hubby or my parents.

But the problem with today's society isn't smartphones....it's the rudeness of the people using them. I personally have vowed never to pull mine out while mi-conversation with someone. But if I am on vacation and in a moment of downtime while I'm just waiting...like at Disney World when I reserve my parade viewing spot forty-five minutes early......yeah, I might post a Facebook staus.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I just got my first smartphone this week, and while I absolutely love having it for all those times I'm waiting for kids (carpool lane, swimming lessons, choir practice, etc!!), I refuse to use it when I'm in the company of others I should be paying attention to. Nothing makes me feel less valued than having someone more interested in the person on twitter or email rather than the conversation with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true... my sister was playing Boggle on her phone IN CHURCH at a baptism! It doesn't get much more rude than that!

    ReplyDelete