Monday, April 13, 2009

Confidence......

Funny how the times I think something is good...I take it for critique from my writer's group and they find all kinds of holes and things...and other times, I take a section I feel can maybe be cut from the story or just isn't too exciting...and they love it!

I wonder if I will ever be completely confident in my writing...and is any writer completely confident..ever???

Writing is such a personal thing. I know a lot of my writing, even the fiction, is based on things from my life, things that are difficult to share, even if the readers think it's purely fiction. When the critique it, it's sometimes hard not to take it personally.


2 comments:

  1. "Writing is such a personal thing. I know a lot of my writing, even the fiction, is based on things from my life, things that are difficult to share, even if the readers think it's purely fiction."
    That's how I feel too. I don't know how to write without writing from experience, to some extent, and that makes it scary.

    There were a few lines in McEwan's novel "Atonement" that I really liked about writing. The younger sister, Briony, was described as being afraid to have anyone read her writing until it was finished and she could point to how it was different from her own life and tied up neatly at the end (although of course, Ian put it much more eloquently than this). I just loved that bit, because it was exactly how I still feel about my writing - I can't stand for anyone to see my unfinished work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a fantastic writers group and when I first went...I was TERRIFIED to share my work....especially the pieces that were very near and dear...the ones that mirrored my life. But, those people quickly became very important to me...and I truly feel at ease with them and share my most intimate of details with them. They share theirs too...we have a really wonderful bond.

    ReplyDelete