Friday, August 11, 2017

Energized and Excited!



I think all creatives find themselves in very un-creative places from time to time. It's part of the process, part of the journey. We each have different ways of rejuvenating that creativity. For me, the best way is to surround myself with other creatives. People who are like me and get me and support me. For me, the best place to find those people is at the Romance Writers of America annual national conference.

2016 was a sucky year for me. I lost all drive. I lost all creativity. I was falling apart and lost and I had no clue where my career was going. Many times I thought my career was done. I was unable to attend RWA's conference last year. It just wasn't in the finances.

I had been planning on going this year, for a long time. It was being held at Disney World. I mean...come on! My two loves and careers combined!! It was a no brainer. But finances were tight and I had nothing new to promote or pitch. I was still unsure if I was even going to pursue writing anymore.

But then the RWA organization contacted me and asked me to lead a tour of one of the parks. I couldn't say no!! We sat down and crunched the numbers and indeed, we could make it work.

A few weeks before the conference, RWA asked members on its FB group page what the RWA community meant to them. I replied and forgot about it. Until I arrived at the conference hotel in Orlando and found my quote on a giant poster on the wall!!!

This conference revived me. After the first two workshops, I texted my husband, tears in my eyes, and thanked him for making it possible for me to go. That just being there had rejuvenated me and my passion for writing. It gave me back a part of myself that I thought might have been long gone.

So here's to 2017 and new beginnings!! I've got some awesome things in the works and I hope you guys will join me for where this journey takes me in the future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment