Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Get Fit by Reading!

I think most people think reading is a sedentary activity. And it sure can be. I openly admit I find lots of joy in curling up with a great book, a yummy warm beverage, and a fuzzy blanket for hours. But there are ways to read and be active too!

I go to the gym. I don't love it, like many people do. I go because I need to. Parts of it I really despise. Like cardio machines. (Boooooring!) But I found a way to make it work for me. I take my Kindle! I increase the font size so it's easier to read. I set up the machine and choose a higher resistance. Burn lots of calories, heart rate high, but I go at a steady pace so I don't bounce around too much. Makes it very easy to read! I do most of my reading at the gym. And that 30 minutes on the elliptical flies by!

Another option is audio books. I have not tried this yet but many people tell me they love them. Then it doesn't matter how much you bounce or what you're doing. You can listen to an audio book while pumping iron or hiking or bicycling.

The only time I find it very hard to read while working out is if I'm reading a sad scene. I remember one in particular. Me on the elliptical, fighting back tears. I'm sure I looked ridiculous.

So, what do you do? Do you find ways to enjoy reading while also getting your workout in?? Got tips for me??

No comments:

Post a Comment