Friday, January 8, 2016

"I just don't like to read."



I've heard that many times. And I guess I understand. Not everyone enjoys getting lost in another person's world. Not everyone enjoys laughter, suspense, romance, edge-of-your-seat excitement or drama. Not everyone enjoys a good story.

Oh...wait a minute. Movies are stories. TV shows are stories.

How can people not enjoy reading a book, but spend many many hours watching Netflix, going to the theater, watching DVRed shows? Why does the format of story-telling matter?

I guess I don't understand after all. Is it the time? I mean, yes, it does take a lot longer to read a book than to watch a two-hour movie. Is today's society just too pressed for time? Do they need the quickest form of story-telling possible? Is it something else?

Or maybe they just haven't found the right book yet. :)

The right book will suck you in and close you off from the rest of the world. The right book will keep you up til wee hours of the night, vowing "just one more chapter." The right book will grab you by the heart and pull you along on it's wacky roller coaster ride. No matter what kind of story you like, there's a book out there for you. More than one, actually. You just need to look ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment