Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Clearing My Head

Sometimes there is so much going on in my brain, or sometimes nothing, which is not good when I need it to have something. During those time I just need to clear my head.

As a writer, I'm often faced with a blank page...that blinking cursor. And there are times it's fantastic. That cursor moves like you wouldn't believe. I make so many typing mistakes because my fingers are moving so fast getting the story out of my head before it disappears, lost in the sea of things floating around in there.

But there are those other times where the blinking cursor is a curse. I don't know what to do next. I don't know where I need to take my characters. Sometimes it's during the creating phase. I have reformed and am now a plotter, but even though I have the entire book planned, it's sometimes difficult to bridge together the scenes I've thought up. Or during the editing phase, when I know I need to fix something, but the solution is just not coming to me.

I need a brain break. And it's not uncommon for me to take several in a day's time. Just short little vacations where my brain can rest and do absolutely nothing worthwhile. And yes...my brain takes it's vacations in Twitterland, Facebookville, and Pinterest City.

I know many people consider these social media sites a complete waste of time. I don't, for many reasons, but I won't go into them all today. Today I am focusing on the break they give my brain. I can go on Twitter and have a laugh, see what my writer buddies are doing, promo myself, help promo a friend. I only stay a minute or two. Then I hop over to Facebook, see what my family and friends are up to today. Stay there a couple minutes. Then maybe some Pinterest for yummy meal ideas or crafts.

My brain takes maybe a 5 minute break and is ready to get back at it. Stepping away form my work, even for a few minutes, can often give me new perspective. It really helps!

Do you take mini breaks while you're writing, or doing whatever job you do? Does it help clear your mind and make you more productive? What do you do on your mini breaks?

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I've found that my most productive times come when I let myself stop banging my head against the keyboard and staring at a blank page that just seems to get more blank the longer I stare at it. Sometimes, flitting around the internet - news stories and friends' stories, etc - can jump start my imagination. There's a lot of "what ifs?" out there. Jumping around makes my brain keep moving, and sometimes the breakthroughs I need are somewhere I couldn't find just sitting still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To sustain a healthy weight, your body needs to
    be fit. Trying on jeans a size smaller will help
    you determine if you're really losing any weight. Diet based on oatmeal has been promoted as a way to lose weight, reduce cholesterol, and lower the risk of certain types of cancer.

    Look at my web site ... weight loss diets

    ReplyDelete