Friday, May 6, 2011

What will it take to become famous???

Now, I need to start this post by saying that I AM NOT pursuing a writing career for fame and fortune and notoriety.....as we all know, that is extremely rare and these days with so many different venues for publishing work, it just doesn't happen like it used to.

I started writing because I had a story to tell and I thought it was fun and endearing, and witty and smart, and tugged at readers heartstrings. I thought it was a great story that deserved to be shared with the world. So I wrote it, I edited it, I submitted it, and then I waited and nothing happened. I went on to write other stories and finally found success with one of them. And the coolest part was that strangers were going to read my book...not just my mom and friends and writer's group. People who had no connection to me what so ever were going to read my words. THAT is why I wanted to be a published author. I just wanted to share my stories.

BUT when I read twitter posts about big time authors going out on book tours in major cities or read blog posts and articles about big time authors and their fans and how many people just adore them and their work...I can't help but crave it. They get to go out there and meet fans and there are a lot of them. I'd like to do some signings locally...but no one knows who I am....the people who'd come are most likely people who already know me.

Will I feel fulfilled if that never happens for me...of course! I feel fulfilled now. But the desire has only grown...to write more, to get more of my stories out there for the world.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate. Fame isn't the driver to tell stories - the need to connect with people is. More power to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found marketing to be the hardest and most frustrating part of the process - even more than the query and publication process.

    I don't know why some are sucessful with it and others aren't, although the publisher and it's willingness to pour money into you helps.

    I just saw that an author I know got picked up for a big Indie "must read" list. I've read her books and think the writing is sub-par. But she has a great agent and a good publisher, and how she got those I don't know either.

    We just keep plugging ahead, I guess, and working towards something bigger. Dreaming bigger is never a bad thing - only when it makes you bitter instead of grateful for where you already are. And you are definitely not bitter. :)

    ReplyDelete