Friday, October 15, 2010

Editing and Writing at the same time???

Well...here I am in the middle of my first round of copy edits for Paradise Cove, YIPPEE!! But I've been spending so much time on Karma Kameleon...trying to get the first draft done by the end of October.

Normally, I do not mix editing and writing. I do one or the other. When edits come in...I usually put aside whatever I'm working on to devote all my time to that. But for the first time, I don't want to do that. I really had my heart set on meeting this goal by the end of October. And I am in a really good position to accomplish it! That means still keeping with my daily work count goal. Paradise Cove is a shortie...only 16,000 words, so it's not like editing an entire full-length novel. And I could put Karma Kameleon aside for a few days to work solely on edits...but I'm just too afraid that I'll get behind and not able to come back.

Yesterday went well. I actually got a decent amount of the editing done. Earlier that day, while out to lunch with my son, he started the next scene on Karma Kameleon. I wrote in my little purse notebook while he slowly ate his food. (I don't know about your kids, but mine can sometimes take for-ev-er to eat.) So I typed that into my computer...just over 600 words. Not bad. I was going to leave it at that. Editing and getting 600 words down wasn't too bad. But I just couldn't leave it. I got back on the computer after the kids were in bed, did more editing, and also squeaked out a few hundred more words. I made my word count goal, barely, but I did it.

5 comments:

  1. I try to mix up my editing and writing, it helps to keep me sane LOL. Some days the editing is sooo boring and tedious and monotonous, then the little writing jags serve as a wonderful interruption...but juggling certainly can keep a mom busy LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes....I already have 80 things in the air, so juggling writing too can get tough! Luckily, both my kids are getting to be self sufficient! :) And hubby does what he can too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you--I have a hard time switching back and forth between the editing and creative hats. I'm usually in one mode or the other. But it's a skill I'm going to have to learn if I'm lucky enough to get published. :) Good luck!

    (And my kidlet takes for-evah to eat too, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie you are one talented lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you get in a grove like that it's so hard to put it away. At least that's what happens to me. Sometimes I feel like I can't type fast enough (and I'm a pretty fast typer if I do say so myself).

    ReplyDelete