Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"I don't know what 10 is in Chinese."

That is what my 6 year old said to me this morning while I was getting her breakfast ready. She had the tv on..not sure what she was watching, but it kinda blew me away that she was concerned that she didn't know Chinese. I said "Sorry honey, I don't know either."

I started thinking about her statement. There is so much that we don't know...even simple things. In this case it's a basic number in a foreign language, but the point is, even in our own daily lives, there are things we just don't know. And I think that's okay. The problem is when poeple don't know something and could care less. I think the 'don't know, don't care' attitude is one of the major things wrong with our society. No matter how much you think you know, it's never enough. We need to keep learning, keep growing and that's what we need to teach our kids.

2 comments:

  1. Totally true!

    And do you know what's just as bad as the "don't know, don't care" people?

    The "don't know, but think I do and I do care" people". The ones who make passionate arguments and their facts are completely wrong. Those are the ones that irk me. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but at least make sure it's based on something accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See sometimes I have the opposite problem. I think I need to know EVERYTHING, but I think sometimes we need to be content with the fact that we DON'T know everything. :-)

    ReplyDelete